After a year-long hiatus from her Las Vegas show, Celine Dion will return to the stage on August 27.
But the decision to continue her residency at Caesars Palace wasn’t an easy one, the singer tells USA Today.
“I didn’t want to be here at first, I don’t need it. Don’t get me wrong, I love singing for people, but I have priorities.”
Priorities such as taking care of her husband and former manager, René Angélil, who is currently battling throat cancer, and making sure their three children are cared for as well.
Ultimately it was her husband, who gave Celine the strength to go back to performing on the Strip.
“René really gave me a gift,” she says. “All my grieving, it was during this last year. I think I’ve got this. For now. When it hits me, it’s going to hit me. But my biggest job is to tell my husband, we’re fine. I’ll take care of our kids. You’ll watch us from another spot.”
Celine admits in her interview with USA Today that her immediate approach to handling her husband’s illness is to be strong for her family, but there are moments she shares with Réne that are more emotionally intense.
Like the moment her husband asked to die in her arms.
“I’ll say, ‘You’re scared? I understand. Talk to me about it.’ And René says to me, ‘I want to die in your arms.’ OK, fine, I’ll be there, you’ll die in my arms.”
The first show back will be one that’s filled with emotion, but after seeing the strength René has put forward during his battle, Celine plans on using the stage as a way to show her husband she will be strong too, and will always be there to support him — no matter what.